Thursday 28 February 2013

Wishlist: Monochrome Minimalism

 I know that I primarily talk about beauty on this blog, but technically this was also intended to include fashion. But I've also been put off from doing the obligatory OOTD and haul posts, mainly because I'm a big old scaredy cat. The picture on my banner is the closest to an outfit post that I've ever gone and the main reason is that I'm not quite there yet with my style and how I look. I play it safe with what I actually wear whilst pining for the slightly out-there pieces that will undoubtedly turn heads (but not necessarily for the right reasons). I'm also in the middle of losing weight and the once effortless and enjoyable shopping trip has turned into a minefield of "Will this even fit across my chest?", "I look like a sack of potatoes in this" or "This really isn't a size 16" moments.

 So with that in mind, I was hardly going to get involved during Fashion Week and start posing outside Somerset House. But then something beautiful happened. Instead of longing for clothes so far out of my price range I could cry, the emphasis had shifted to accessories. Designers such as Philip Lim and Nicole Farhi had incredible wool-trimmed shoes, impressive clunky heels and beautifully made bags that really made an understated dress stand out on the catwalk. I had already begun veering towards a minimalist approach with my wardrobe (being between sizes helps in this instance) and shopping for accessories puts an end to the neverending gamble of "Will this even fit me in 3 months time?" So here is my more affordable edit of monochrome accessories.



 These picks are inspired by Jil Sander as white accessories just give a clean look to almost any outfit. After the New Year, I had started seeing a few style bloggers with pointy white shoes - and I loved how edgy they look, even when paired with boyfriend jeans! Everyone who knows me can tell you that I don't really manage that well in high heels, so the wedge is a good compromise and these H&M ones are the best I've seen. As for the bag, I do love Zara for their selection of good quality leather bags. Yes, the colour choice is highly impractical, but it is such an attention grabbing piece as the clean lines just exude pure minimalist sophistication. Just watch where you put it! As you could probably guess, these are part of the "I'm too chicken to wear these outside" camp. But I'll try and revive my purse strings so I don't just admire these from afar. But for those days when I don't want to look like polished prefection, I chose these:

  I wouldn't categorise myself as a hipster, but I did live in denim shirts and high top Nikes before they were considered the epitome of East End Cool. This would tie in quite nicely with what I already own, with the option of dressing up with a velvet maxi dress or something less casual. The Monki Lollo Shoes have patent toecaps (which don't show up well on the picture, sorry) and the added platform is a real bonus due to my aforementioned heel problem. I'm scared that this messenger bag will go the same way as the white leather/rose gold hardware 'it' bag last year and disappear when I finally get my funds together. Pictured here, it has the same structure as a paper bag for an understated minimalist look, but it has a shoulder strap for when you need to pare it down a bit. These picks are my attempt at minimalism, but here's a couple more if you wanted something inbetween:

These accessories are more of a work option, but the monochrome detail makes them more versatile across different looks. I could pull off these slingbacks with a Cos dress or a pair of vintage  dungarees; the two-tone satchel with a two piece floral suit or my casual weekend uniform (band tee, skinny jeans and Vans if you were wondering). Either way, this is a combination of the two previous states, the aspirational meets the accessible. The clean lines are still visible but the heels are manageable for everyday wear and the bag is a patent cream rather than white leather - much easier to clean.


 Multi-functional and practical - just don't all rush out and buy them at once until I get my own, okay?


No comments:

Post a Comment