Wednesday 6 February 2013

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Topaz VS Benefit Sunbeam

After using the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Topaz non-stop during the summer, it soon became clear that I needed a winter appropriate highlighter as a subsitute to a deeply bronzed highlight. Enter Benefit Sunbeam.


These are my favourite highlighters to date as often I find powder highlighters to look ashy on my warm toned skin. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector is a cult product with Topaz being the deepest shade of four.  Its creamy consistency means it applies effortlessly, leaving a bronzy sheen that looks more luminous as opposed to glittery. It suits me best with a tan, but for a natural highlight, this is perfect for those with deep skintones.

Sunbeam is a more flattering shade (think more golden than bronze) and helps to give a hint of depth and colour to the face, perfect for winter. It comes with a brush inside the lid, which comes in useful as the product is much more liquidy compared to the Becca formulation. The microparticles seem slightly chunkier, so the effect is less subtle despite appearing much lighter.

Top Swatch- Benefit Sunbeam

Bottom Swatch- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Topaz

Also, check out my photography skillz! Hardly admirable, but last time I tried to capture Topaz on camera, it didn't go so well.

As the Becca Review is the most viewed post on this blog, I thought it'd be best to upload a proper swatch as it's oh so beautiful.



Unfortunately, Becca seems to be in trouble as it seems impossible to order these online in the UK right now, so I am starting to ration the stuff for special occasions only until summer (or when I can afford the massive £33 bottle). Until then, Sunbeam will fill the void as it is the perfect golden shade without going too bronze. Mine is an InStyle freebie from November, but for the full size 13ml be prepared to shell out £18.50. Considering my 15ml travel sized Shimmering Skin Perfector cost me £10, I can't help but feel like I'd rather invest in Becca. 

I thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison as others consider these as dupes, but they are completely different when applied onto the skin.

Which do you prefer? Or do you have a HG golden highlighter recommendation? Share below!

No comments:

Post a Comment