Saturday 1 June 2013

Hair Talk

I'm in a bit of a rut when it comes to my hair - since having it relaxed (chemically straightened) I've only alternated between a bob and a shoulder length cut. For my next trip to the hairdressers, I've been thinking about getting a pixie crop like Jessica Chastain, putting box braids in like Beyonce on that trip to Cuba or simply growing it out to see if I can get to bra-strap length. I can't decide for a full 5 minutes, so I thought I'd let you in on the products I use on a regular basis.

My hair is quite thick and can get unruly past shoulder length- I remember wash days when I used to get tangles as large as my fist! Now I take care to use nourishing products with less silicones and more natural products, which is why I use the Ojon Damage Reverse range. I first prep the hair before washing with the Restorative Hair Treatment (£16). This comes in a solid paste that you have to warm in your hands to get a nourishing thick oil. The chocolatey tobacco scent isn't to everybody's taste but I do love it and it comes out after shampooing anyway. There is an alternative with a more vanilla smell for those that can't handle weird smells that you can now get as a gift with purchase on the website, but I feel that the original one imparts more moisture onto the hair. It tells you to leave for 20 minutes but as my hair can get really dry I do stretch the waiting time by at least an hour.




Next, I wash my hair with the Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Shampoo. No other shampoo has left my hair so soft and shiny and the inclusion of castor seed oil amongst many others allows it to fully nourish the hair. Since taking this photo, I have purchased the full size and have not been this happy with a shampoo for a very long time. The range may be pricey, but I have found that ordering from the Ojon website allows you to trial new products and they often give generous samples with your purchase. Other options incluse purchasing mini tester bottles, which can be found in the bigger branches of Boots or on the Ojon website.

For conditioner, however the Ojon Damage Reverse one is just ok, I just had better results using the TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey Conditioner - which you can get from TK Maxx from £5.99. As this is a salon quaity product it leaves the hair baby soft and makes detangling a breeze. This is also formulated for damaged hair and the Oatmeal and Honey range has quickly become a family favourite (never leave your expensive products in the family bathroom!) Another budget conditioner that does the trick without weighing down the hair is the Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner. Although I wouldn't recommend the shampoo, this range is great for hydration, especially for afro and  chemically damaged hair.

As there is an emphasis on oils in my haircare routine, I'll let you in on the other products I use in a later post. Hint -  they are much cheaper and easier to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment